Become a member today!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default HLCS - Helicos BioSciences

It is up 60% plus today... (edit...closed 8/12/2009 @ 1.01)

Helicos BioSciences (NASDAQ: HLCS) is a life science company focused on innovative genetic analysis technologies for the research, drug discovery, and diagnostic markets. Helicos's proprietary True Single Molecule Sequencing (tSMS)™, technology allows direct measurement of billions of strands of DNA enabling scientists to perform experiments and ask questions never before possible. Helicos is a recipient of the $1,000 genome grant and committed to providing scientists the tools to unlock the era of genomic medicine. The company is currently planning the introduction of its first product, the Helicos™ Genetic Analysis System.

Based on Helicos's tSMS technology, the Helicos Genetic Analysis System enables ultra-highthroughput genetic analysis by directly sequencing single molecules of nucleic acids. The tSMS workflow is based on a simple, cost effective sample preparation process that can easily be scaled and replicated to meet the requirements of large, complex experiments, overcoming laboratory workflow bottlenecks.

Helicos believes the tSMS sequencing by synthesis approach will represent the first comprehensive and universal solution for single molecule genetic analysis, dramatically lowering the cost of individual analyses. The Helicos Genetic Analysis System will have extensive capabilities in basic and translational research, and pharmaceutical R&D, thus increasing the potential for improved drug therapies, personalized medicine and more accurate molecular diagnostics for diseases such as cancer.

-------------------Homepage----------------------------

http://www.helicosbio.com/

-----------------Biomedreports & Seeking Alpha-------

http://biomedreports.com/articles/ne...an-genome.html

http://biomedreports.com/articles/ne...is-system.html

http://biomedreports.com/articles/la...-methods-.html

Seeking Alpha main page...articles are all from 2007

-------------------------biohealthinvestor-----------

http://www.biohealthinvestor.com/200...nome-hlcs.html

---------------------------------MFFAIS-------------------

Nothing jumps out except recently there's been more selling than buying although look back to March and our familiar frend Renaissance Technologies is back

----------------------------NY Times-------------------------

article is a year old but offers some perspective
    Last edited by SK_; September 9th, 2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Added name to title

Default Re: Helicos (HLCS)

Gotta post the good with the bad.....(another from biohealthinvestor.com):

August 12, 2009 · Filed Under General, genomics · Comments Off
    Helicos (HLCS) got some good news when a scientist who was one of the firm’s founders said he had mapped the entire personal genome using one of the HLCS products. The stock jumped from about $.70 to $1.50 yesterday.

HLCS is on the move again today, up 33% to $1.33 after a sell-off yesterday afternoon. The only news out of the company was that Helicos BioSciences Corporation and Mr. Stephen P. Hall have agreed that Mr. Hall will leave his role as Senior Vice President, Chief Financial Officer, Treasurer, principal financial officer and principal accounting officer of the Company effective after the Company’s filing of its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2009 which is expected to be on Friday. That would seem like fairly bad news.

It seems that yesterday’s move is based on the notion that the company’s genome mapping machines could become the norm. The obvious quest here is that drive to the $1,000 genome…. Either way, this is still a highly speculative company with an uncertain future for investors.

This is a penny stock, and subject to wild fluctuation. The company was recently downgraded by Leerink Swann after losing $6.5 million on revenue of $1.2 million. The firm only has $14 million in cash.

Not much runway

Douglas A McIntyre

Analyst

is this still a nice stock to jump in? The technology they have is great!

zwaffelaar - as with most of these types of stocks it is a real crap shoot. i agree the technology is amazing, but the applicability of it leaves a lot to be desired. If the area of genomics really starts to take off I could see HLCS doing so as well, but my guess is that after this round of hype the stock will fall back in the 80-90 cent range which at that point could represent a good buying opportunity.

I don't own any yet...hence why I'm just watching it for now...but I like what this could mean down the road.

CAMBRIDGE, Mass., Aug 13, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Helicos BioSciences Corporation (HLCS), a life science company focused on innovative genetic analysis technologies, today announced the placement of a Helicos(TM) Genetic Analysis System at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Cancer Center in the laboratory of Daniel Haber, MD, PhD. "Mass General is an ideal setting for the demonstration of our single molecule sequencer's unique features and benefits" stated Ron Lowy, Helicos Chief Executive Officer. The Helicos Genetic Analysis System is the world's first and only commercially available, single molecule sequencing technology, and enables scientists to conduct revolutionary studies in the fields of genome biology, cancer research, common diseases, and microbiology without DNA ligation or amplification. Genetic analysis with Helicos's technology eliminates the biases, complexity and errors introduced by DNA amplification, requires minute amounts of starting material, and provides the most direct and accurate view of biological samples. "We are very excited to be working with the distinguished group led by Dr. Haber" stated Patrice Milos, Chief Scientific Officer of Helicos. "We expect great synergies for cancer research and diagnostics with the combination of two powerful technologies - the MGH's revolutionary circulating tumor cell microchip (CTC-chip) and Helicos's single molecule genetic analysis system". About Helicos BioSciences: Helicos BioSciences is a life science company focused on innovative genetic analysis technologies for the research, drug discovery, and diagnostic markets. Helicos' proprietary True Single Molecule Sequencing, tSMS(TM), technology allows direct measurement of billions of strands of DNA enabling scientists to perform experiments and ask questions never before possible. Helicos is a recipient of the $1,000 genome grant and committed to providing scientists the tools to unlock the era of genomic medicine. The company's corporate headquarters are located at One Kendall Square, Building 700, Cambridge, MA 02139, and its telephone number is (617) 264-1800. For more information, please visit .

Closed at 2.90 yesterday (+~290%) ...wish I'd taken my own advice.

Default Re: HLCS - Helicos BioSciences

Thought I'd resurface this one as it's in an interesting place, technically.

It's tightening into the point of a wedge pattern, the fourth in a succession of increasingly bullish wedge/pennant formations on the chart, each of which has resulted in a breakout to the upside, at times with a significant pop (see attached chart with very loose trend lines drawn).

I jumped in last week at $2.80 and am waiting for volume to pick up to see which way it breaks. I'm looking for something in the high 3s before jumping out. Do you own DD, obviously...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Helicos BioSciences Q3 2009 Operating Highlights and Strategic Update

Significant Commercial and Technical Milestones Achieved
    CAMBRIDGE, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Oct 27, 2009 - Helicos BioSciences Corporation (NASDAQ: HLCS) announced today its operational, technical and scientific highlights for the quarter ended September 30, 2009.

“In the third quarter of 2009, we continued to accelerate the deployment of our Helicos® Genetic Analysis System and to advance our technology. System orders more than doubled during the third quarter of 2009 compared to the first half of 2009 which resulted in an increase in the number of System installations from six to eleven during the quarter. We continue our drive to install our Systems in some of the world's most distinguished research sites. I am pleased to see Helicos's continued commercial momentum and growing number of examples of our technology being used to produce scientific results that truly distinguishes single molecule sequencing in the marketplace,” said Ronald A. Lowy, Helicos Chief Executive Officer.

Also during the third quarter of 2009, Helicos completed a private placement through the sale of shares of its common stock and warrants to certain new and existing investors. The offering raised approximately $9.4 million in net proceeds, after deducting placement agent fees and offering expenses. Helicos is using the proceeds to fund working capital requirements to support its sales and for general corporate purposes.

Helicos expects approximately $5 million in cash receipts from previously announced System orders and associated reagent purchases. Cash inflows from these orders are expected to occur during the fourth quarter of 2009 and the first quarter of 2010.

The Company plans to file its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended September 30, 2009 on or before November 14, 2009.

Keep an eye for tomorrow.

Mama - there goes that man!
    --------------------------------------------------------------

The only thing worse than being wrong, is staying wrong.

Jeeze Louise... the hole I'm in just gets deeper and deeper...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Helico....html?x=0&.v=1

Off 60% following the AH action today. Can't wait for tomorrow
    ------------------------------------------------------

Twitter: Yingwe
    Trading Blog: http://ingwetrading.blogspot.com/

BT_

I'm jumping in at this price. Any warnings before I do? I just figure there will at least be a bit of a bounce here. This seems pretty much par for the course with bio's.
    "I have found the stock market to be a relentless teacher. The market will zero in on your weaknesses and it will cost you. If you are fearful, the market will find your weakness and it will cost you, if you are overly bold, if you are lazy, if you are impatient, the market will find that weakness and it will cost you. The market is a brutal teacher, but an excellent one." ~ Richard Russell

Can't say I can advise you of anything with any confidence. I've noticed from a few other stocks that the announcement of a secondary offering doesn't produce much of a bounce following a price dive (HLCS hit .87 this morning and has bounced only 7 cents or so since; OPXA fell to 1.90 but has only got back to $2.00); rather they bleed a little or just stay flat.

Long-term, assuming this company can sort themselves out, this is a great entry point but I'm not sure there's much of a short-term play here. I could, of course, be wrong. I do know that the HLCS Yahoo board is one pissed off group of shareholders, not least because they priced the secondary at $1 when the pps was $1.40!

Anybody know why the offering was so much below the PPS? A lot of angry shareholders today...

Speculation is that they must need the cash fast. Shareholders are pissed that they announced they were going it alone and taking themselves out of the M&A shop window (perhaps because they couldn't find a buyer?) and then diluted at a 40+% discount.

They released PR 2-3 weeks back saying they'd sold their first sequencing machine (they're $5m apiece) but they need to sell a steady stream to stay afloat. Concern now is that buyers will be less confident in buying a machine they can't service if HLCS go under.

I bought in as technical trade at 2.80, didn't set a stop because I thought it would come back and then watched helplessly as it tumbled to the mid $1s. Yesterday's news was just a kick in the balls

BT_

HLCS finally broke free from it's sub-dollar range for the moment. Hopefuly it can continue this momentum.
    "I have found the stock market to be a relentless teacher. The market will zero in on your weaknesses and it will cost you. If you are fearful, the market will find your weakness and it will cost you, if you are overly bold, if you are lazy, if you are impatient, the market will find that weakness and it will cost you. The market is a brutal teacher, but an excellent one." ~ Richard Russell

BT_

Helicos BioSciences Announces the Sale of a Helicos(R) Genetic Analysis System to the Turku Centre for Biotechnology

Jan. 19, 2010 (Business Wire) -- Helicos BioSciences Corporation (NASDAQ: HLCS), today announced the sale of a Helicos® Genetic Analysis System to the Turku Centre for Biotechnology in Turku, Finland. The center, led by Dr. Riitta Lahesmaa, is a joint facility of the University of Turku and Åbo Akademi University.

“We are very excited by our acquisition of a Helicos System, as it will allow us to perform novel experiments using single molecule sequencing technology.” said Riitta Lahesmaa, Director of the center.

“We are delighted to have the Turku Center as a customer. Their scientists appreciate the unique benefits of having single molecule analysis capability and we look forward to their efforts in generating breakthrough discoveries using Helicos technology.” stated Ron Lowy, Helicos Chief Executive Officer.
    The Turku Center sale represents the 10th sale of a HeliScope™ Single Molecule Sequencer.

To date, 12 Helicos Systems are installed and operating at customer sites at key national and international institutions with an additional, previously announced purchased system, waiting for site preparations to be completed.
    “We began 2009 with one Helicos System installed at a customer site. By placing an average of one system per month during 2009, culminating with our latest order from Turku, we have achieved a solid customer base using our technology. We believe that these systems, as well as new systems from additional sales, will generate important scientific data that will lead to new and unique applications, and, ultimately, revolutionary scientific breakthroughs.” said Lowy.

The Helicos Genetic Analysis System is the world’s first and only commercially available, single molecule sequencing technology, and enables scientists to conduct revolutionary studies in the fields of genome biology, cancer research, common diseases, and microbiology without DNA ligation or amplification. Genetic analysis with Helicos’ technology eliminates the biases, complexity and errors introduced by DNA amplification, requires minute amounts of starting material, is amenable to the analysis of degraded nucleic acids, and provides the most direct and accurate view of biological samples.

Pit Master

Not to sound like a broken record with these pattern formations, but HLCS looks like it is also forming a bullish pennant in it's new found uptrend.

Nice jump on 1/8 accompanied by high volume. Then consolidation on declining volume. All the indicators are trending up - looking bullish near term. Watch the volume and the pennant resistance for a breakout signal.

Also watch where the bollinger bands (10SMA +/- 2 standard deviations) might come into play in the next couple days to help generate a buy signal.

Last edited by jaymo; January 24th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.

BT_

Helicos BioSciences Featured at Advances in Genome Biology and Technology Meeting
    Unique Capabilities of Single Molecule Sequencing and the Helicos(R)Genetic Analysis System Showcased

Feb. 23, 2010 (Business Wire) -- Helicos BioSciences (NASDAQ:HLCS) and it’s collaborators will deliver presentations featured at the Advances in Genome Biology and Technology (AGBT) meeting in Marco Island, Florida, from February 24-27, 2010. The presentations demonstrate the unique attributes of single molecule sequencing available for customers using the Helicos® Genetic Analysis System, and highlight the suitability of the technology for answering difficult and previously intractable questions in biology and medicine.

Dr. Timothy Triche, MD, PhD, University of Southern California on behalf of the Children’s Oncology Group will discuss recent collaborative studies undertaken with Helicos in a talk entitled “Unraveling the Complexity of Primary and Metastatic Ewing’s Sarcoma Using Helicos Single Molecule Sequencing”. Using a Helicos® Genetic Analysis System, the group performed a comprehensive and quantitative survey of a cancer patient's genome and transcriptome to identify changes responsible for tumor metastasis and drug resistance.

In a talk entitled “A True Unbiased View of Genome Biology: Helicos Single Molecule Sequencing” Patrice Milos, PhD, Vice President and Chief Scientific Officer, of Helicos will present the technology’s unique ability to perform Direct RNA Sequencing and Direct Chromatin Immunoprecipitation Sequencing (ChIP-Seq), providing unbiased quantitation and sequence information. The unparalleled quantitative accuracy of Helicos' direct measurement will be demonstrated relative to 2nd Generation, amplification-based technologies.

In addition, John Thompson, PhD, Helicos’s Senior Director of Genomic Sciences, will give a poster presentation entitled “Single Molecule Sequencing of DNA Invisible to Other Technologies” describing Helicos' unique ability to sequence DNA from samples other technologies can't. These include samples that are highly degraded, contaminated or of very ancient origin.

The Helicos® Genetic Analysis System is the world's first and only commercially available technology capable of True Single Molecule Sequencing (tSMS)TM. Unlike amplification-based technologies, the Helicos approach is free from the biases and artifacts associated with amplification, and provides a direct view of biological samples, enabling applications that can revolutionize biology, diagnostics and medicine.

Vex

Quite short-term notice for them, eh? Is that PR from today? The conference is tomorrow through Friday. Hmmm....

We usually do see run-ups after certain conferences, as some of the bigger investors buy into the buzz.
    Let's help each other make money

Twitter: @VexTrades

BT_

Yeah, that just came out this morning. You're right though; pretty short notice.

In @ .43

HLCS ran 50% in Sept last time they filed a patent suit

News

Helicos BioSciences Amends Patent Infringement Lawsuit Against Pacific Biosciences to Include Illumina and Life Technologie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information